Edmonton’s Original Commercial Printer
Purchased in 2005 by the Burke Group
In 1902, businessman H.W.B. Douglas started a three-person operation. He would offer engraving, sign painting, bookbinding, illustration, and photography. Douglas was a proud and exacting craftsman, who produced beautiful publications using the most modern printing techniques. A 1930’s advertisement boasted a Vertical Miehle letterpress. The company’s pampered machines included a Heidelberg for die cuts and a one-color press from the early 20th century. (Burke continues to use reliable and accurate Heidelberg.)Douglas Printing thrived and grew along with the city of Edmonton. When it became Burke, Douglas was a bustling offset print shop with 70 employees. Burke built on that foundation and expanded into digital and large format printing, adding services as customer needs evolve.